Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Epic Orchestra for Apple TV - Dev Blog 1

The release of Epic Orchestra for Apple TV is set for June 8th! I thought I'd share the story of how this app came to be.

When Apple TV was announced in Nov. 2015, I shifted all my focus to creating apps for the TV. It was so cool! I grew up playing the NES and this felt like I was creating content for a home console. I created 3 apps at launch but they were quick and easy ports. I wanted to make something designed specifically for Apple TV. 

I had the idea of creating Epic Orchestra to combine my two passions: music and retro games. With the Siri Remote it was only natural to make a swipe or tap game. The project quickly ballooned as I added more levels and powers-ups. By the end of the project, I had created an entire classical music album (this didn't occur to me until yesterday).




In the first month of development I demoed the app at an Apple TV Tech Talk in Austin, TX. I just revisited that build and boy has it changed. Here are some before and after shots.







That is all for now. Thanks for reading and I hope you get a chance to play Epic Orchestra on June 8th!

Thanks,
Nick

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing find! I downloaded Epic Orchestra today and have been highly engaged and entertained by your game. The easy gameplay, great selection of music, and fun presentation (love the "FYI" tidbits on the newspaper review after each session) make for a great package. Thank you for making classical music accessible to more people! I am sharing this with my friends and colleagues!

    ReplyDelete